Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Monday without the Blues

Monday, June 18, 2012

There's nothing like waking up at 5 am to have an argument with yourself.  I know I need to get more swimming in, so I planned on going to the natatorium before work to get in a good half hour or so of swimming.  

But when I woke up, staying in bed and sleeping a little longer sounded like a better idea. The truth is I was intimidated.  I didn't want to go and swim with all those early-morning swimmers - the ones that know what they're doing - the ones that swim so effortlessly and glide through the water with ease.  I didn't want to worry about sharing a lane with a total stranger.  And most of all, I didn't want to get out there and possibly not do well and then feel bad about it the rest of the day.  

I didn't want to go.  I heard my voices telling me to get my a** out of bed.  They were telling me that I was going to have to get over these issues sooner or later and the tri is coming sooner rather than later.  Begrudgingly, I got out of bed and got ready to go.  

That's the short version, by the way.

Luckily, Monday morning must be the morning those swimmer stay in bed themselves, because it wasn't crowded at all.  As a matter of fact, there was only one guy in a medium speed lane.  I had two slow lanes all to myself, although I only used one.  ;)

I just did freestyle swim trying to concentrate on my breathing and my legs.  It's really so much to remember, but it's getting better.  I even tried to time myself, and it seems like my pace is about 35 seconds per 25 yards.  I don't know if that's good or not, but that's what it is.  It's good for me.  I did have to rest quite a bit, but as long as I could keep going, I was happy.  I lost count of my laps, but I think I swam about 450 yards.  The guy that was in the medium lane was going pretty fast, so I was going to check out what he was doing with his legs.  I waited for him to get to the side of the pool I was on, and then I went underwater.  At that point, he decided to do the breast stroke, so what he was doing with his legs was of no use to me.  And maybe that was lesson in not stalking swim moves of fellow swimmers.  

All in all, the morning was a success.  But then as evening came, it was time for something equally, if not more, vigorous.

It was time for 30 in 30.  This class is intense.  There were no stations today, just one exercise after another. Punches and jumps and planks.  OH MY! There was no break in between exercises.  I was literally dripping sweat within minutes.  DRIPPING!  I found myself wondering if I could hang for an entire hour.   I think the hardest thing was the plank push up things.  I don't really remember how to do them now because it's like post traumatic stress and my brain is blocking the memory of them, but the soreness in my arms and abs is a reminder that something did take place.

Next up was Zumba, which frankly was like one big cool down after that 30 in 30 class.  There were a couple of new songs, which is always (not) fun.  It makes me want to break out in free style dance since it's impossible to keep up with the new moves when it seems like the instructor doesn't know them either.  So that's what I did.  Just for a few moments, but my friend Tangila joined me.  After that I have to admit that I half-assed the rest of the class, but I just couldn't get into it.  Luckily, there was only 15 minutes of class left.  

All in all, I think it was a successful workout day.  I logged all my stuff into My Fitness Pal, and it said I would weigh like 20 pounds less in 5 weeks, but I know that My Fitness Pal lies, so I won't hold my breath.

At least not until it's time for me to swim again.

No comments:

Post a Comment