Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Scaredy Cat

Kelly and I have talked about getting together for early-morning runs.  We have talked about it.  We have both been slacking in the running area since the Mardi Gras run, so we finally put our feet where our mouths are and agreed to get those early morning runs in.  So I checked with her before I left work, and she agreed to be at my house at 5:15 for a quick 2 mile run.

So I wake up at 5 am, and I'm realizing that I'm supposed to make a cobbler for work.  I did not go to the store to buy stuff for cobbler and I'm thinking I should get up and run to the grocery store to get the stuff, and I'll still have time to make it.  Thank goodness I woke up early!   Then I get a text from Kelly..."I'm just now leaving my house" and I'm all "Oh my gosh! What happened?  What's wrong that she's leaving her house?" totally forgetting that we have a running date.  So I dash around the house to get ready before she comes over. 

This was a particularly foggy morning, so as we took off into the back of the neighborhood, I'm all creeped out.  We turned around and decided we'd run in the more populated/crowded part of my hood.  We started and immediately the body is protesting such movement so early in the morning.  It's still very foggy, and I realize that I am the biggest chicken on the face of the earth.  We got near a lift station, and it was making noise, and I was all "What the hell is that?"  When I calmed down from that noise, some guys was making lots of noise with his front door, and that freaked me out.  And it was so foggy, so every scary movie was coming to mind.  Ridiculous.

We turned and kept going, but I never realized how not-well-lit my neighborhood is.  Or maybe it was just the fog, but it seems like when we are in our early morning runs on the other side of town that it is much lighter.  No biggie.  We made a loop and since it was only a mile, we did another loop.  Once we got back to my house, I was all warmed up and ready to go, but it was time to start the morning routine, so back in the house I went-away from the dark and fog and scary noises.

I'm such a chicken.  There is no way I would have been able to do that run without having a heart attack if it weren't for Kelly.  Speaking of Kelly, she is doing the Rodeo Run in Houston on Saturday.  So this is the first time that we won't be running a race together.  And it doesn't seem right.  Today during lunch she went to go pick up her race packet.  Without me.  And Saturday I will be picking up mine.  Without her.  Alas.  I hope she doesn't find a running buddy to replace me.

So now my trip is in just a few days, and my stomach is in knots.  I'm getting so nervous.  Not so much about the run.  I feel pretty good about that part of it, and I'm just praying to have a good run day.  Just the trip and leaving home and leaving my little one.  Luckily for me, she'll be distracted with a trip to see her cousins!  And Angela and I will be on a girls trip that we haven't had in the 25 years we've been friends and I'll be running the race of my dreams.  I never thought I'd be able to do something like this.  So why be afraid?

It'll all be good.  My sister is telling me to just "zen" and say things like oooommmm and stuff like that.  I think I'll go try it. 

Although I'm alone in the house with the little one sleeping.  If I make weird noises, I may scare myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment