Monday, January 9, 2012

Tricept Terror

January 5, 2012

I was sleepy when I came home on Thursday.  So sleepy in fact that when my husband took the little one for ice cream for her good report card, I stayed home and took a nap.  Just 15 minutes, but it was a nap nonetheless.

So in trying to keep up with the weight training and getting back into the groove, I set out to the rec center a little bit early on Thursday.  I figured I could get a good 30 minute workout in before Zumba.  You're supposed to do your strength before cardio, so this would be perfect; and I'll still make it home in time to put the little one to bed.

Off I go, and I did a quick warm up on the elliptical.  I started watching Seinfeld, and I have to admit I wanted to stay on the machine just so I could finish watching it.  I always wonder what people think when you laugh out loud on a machine, but I figure it's one of three things.
  1. They think that I'm crazy
  2. They have headphones on and can't hear me anyway
  3. They really just don't care!
I think it's probably #2 or #3.  Rather than going to the mat with weights, I decided to save time and just hit the machines.  I know this is not as effective, but I was in a time crunch.  Tiffany met me, and we hit the machines while I focused on the arms.  They really don't have a good machine for triceps, so I went to the free weight side.  It was the last muscle I focused on, and I pressed my arms down til I could feel them burning.  Burn, baby burn!

Soon enough, we walked over to the room.  There was a crowd. I guess people are making their new year's resolutions to lose weight.  There were over 40 people in there!  It's sad, but someone said give it a couple of weeks, and it will go back to normal.  It's probably true.  Maybe this will be the year that more people stick to their fitness resolutions.  Let's hope so.  It is achievable!

Anyway, I don't know if it was the nap or the strength training, but I was re energized and ready to go!  I felt great, and I was full of life.  Class started and I just had a blast!   Tammy laughed and asked me what I drank for dinner.  I love that we can get a good workout, laugh, and hang out all at the same time. 

I've been feeling a little stitch in my lower thigh above my knee for a little over a week, and I did start feeling it more so.  I was just careful, but I still gave it my all.   Love it, love it, love it!  But I am getting concerned about my leg.  But...within the next couple of days, the leg pain would take a backseat as the workout on my triceps would be front and center in my mind as I woke up the next morning, and I couldn't figure out why my elbows hurt.  Elbows! Then I realized that it was my arms and it just extended to my elbows.  I knew I was in trouble if I was already feeling that sore so early in the morning.

And it got worse.

And worse.

And by the next day, I couldn't bend my arms.  Not completely anyway.  It was hard to brush my hair.  It was hard to hold the phone up to my ear.  It was hard to itch my nose.  My arms hurt sooooo bad.  I must have worked them really hard, and they are paying me back for the terror I put them through. 

Paybacks.  It's all paybacks.  But eventually, I'll have the last word.

No comments:

Post a Comment