Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bad Run Day


It's been a while since I've just really had an off day, so I guess I was due.  I woke up at 4:45 feeling great.  I was even singing Party Rock Anthem in my head as I was brushing me teeth and filling my fuel belt.  Today's assignment was 10 mile repeats (yuk!), and Kelly and I had decided that we would just run 12 miles total since keeping up with them gets kind of challenging. 

It is unseasonably warm for this time of year, and this morning was particularly muggy.  But off we go for our run.  We ran the first warm up mile without stopping and then took our 4 minute walk break to prepare for the repeats.  My Garmin is in protest mode because it refused to beep to alert us of the 1 mile, 4 minute intervals.  >=(

Then we took off for our first mile repeat.  The point of this is to get you to run at a faster pace by alternating running and walking.  But as soon as we took off, I could feel my leg with shooting pain.  I thought I'd give it some time to warm up.  By mile three, however, it wasn't any better.  I didn't know what to do.  Is this pain that I should worry about?  Or is this pain that a Warrior Princess should push past.  I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. 

Finally, I ask Kelly if we can just do an 8-mile run.  Graciously, (true to her Grace Kelly name) she agreed.  But we had passed the turn for our 8 mile route, so we had to figure out what to do.  We would have to run 1/2 mile past our turn and make our way back to get in 8.  But we could do it.

With each passing repeat, I could still feel the pain in my leg, but now it was also in my right buttock.  That I could get past.  But the repeats were awful.  I couldn't keep up a good pace that make the repeats what they are.  I was slowing us down.  When we got to the turn, I told Kelly we would have to just head back and give up that mile.  She understood, but I was still wrestling with myself.  Am I wimping out, or am I making the right choice?

Around mile 6, not only was I feeling my leg and my booty, I was now feeling my knee.  I am guessing that I was compensating somehow with my leg and that's why other parts were hurting.  But still. I could handle that other stuff, but I was scared of hurting myself so close to race day.

So we made it back, and we were at 7 miles.  7 instead of 12, and I was disappointed.  Disappointed and yet guiltily happy that it was over.  I am chalking it up to it was just an overall bad run day.  I know they exist.  And I guess it was my turn.

I'm trying to hang on to the fact that it's better that it happened today and not on February 5th. 

T- minus 15 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment