Saturday, September 17, 2011

9 Mile Morning

Nothing makes me want to kill my phone like it going off at 4:30 in the morning on a Saturday.  Kelly's and my run started at 5:10 on the other side of town, so off I go praying that Kelly's phone was waking her up too! It wasn't hot, but it was humid, and I had hoped for cooler weather. Oh well.

We had a bit of a rocky start.  First we took off, and after about a third of a mile, we realize that I had not set the Garmin for intervals.  So we had to start over and we would just have to keep track of the extra mileage that wouldn't be shown.  No problem.  As we're going, we are venting about the week's stresses and just getting out all our frustrations.  That made the first 4 1/2 miles go by pretty quickly.  During this time, the neighborhood sprinklers are going off, and I swear it seemed like they were waiting for us to get close enough to them to start.  Some of the water was pretty cool, so it was actually kind of nice.

It was also around 4 1/2 miles that we had to take a detour from our route.  It was my fault, but we had to find a gas station so I could use the facilities.  So we broke off from our route, and we figured out how far we needed to go to get back on track.  Unfortunately, as we were heading back, we saw our groups passing the street. This means we wouldn't pass each other and we would probably miss seeing most of  the other members.  But that's okay.  There's always next week. 

As we passed our water station for the second time, we realized we were getting tired. I swear my bum felt like it weighed a ton, and we still had two more miles to go.  As we continued on, we passed another group of runners.  I think it may have been the Pearland group that my club branched off from.  And I can see why.  Most runners will say good morning to you or hello or something when you're passing each other.  This group did not.  Even when Kelly and I started it, we were met with passing silence.  It was weird.   So we started laughing and saying with a lisp accent, "We are serious runners.  This is serious."  Maybe you had to be there, but it got us laughing and the next mile and a half got a little easier.

Speaking of that last mile, we had to take venture off course again to be sure we made to nine miles.  As we turned around one last time to run it back to the beginning, Kelly got a hold of an Energizer battery or something, because she kicked it up a notch!  I was all, "Hey girl!  Where did you get the battery pack?"  She laughed and was just focused on finishing.  We didn't take our last walking break.  We just kept going and as we got closer, I said, "We've got this!" and we ran it in at a pace that was equivalent to our magic mile pace for the last two minutes! Coach Dan met us at the driveway and Coach Ric met us with a high five at the end.  It was a good run!

9 miles!  I would have never believed I could do it.  It's starting to sink in what this actually means.  I've been tracking how far things are when I drive, and so the perception of what distance is is actually starting to mean something.  My drive to work is only 3.75 miles, so basically I ran to work and back and then went to the grocery store.  When I think of it like that, it seems crazy!  And another surpising thing is that I feel really good; not like I'm exhausted and I'm going to die, but just tired like you feel after a good workout. 

It's an awesome feeling.  I think I could get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment