Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Wheels on the Bike

This morning, I survived my first spinning class.  I was pretty nervous about it, which became quite evident as I woke up all night long.  I had packed my bag with everything I need to get ready for work since I wouldn't really have time to come home. Finally when I woke up at 5:15, I got dressed, grabbed 1/2 a banana, and hit the road.

I walked in, and everyone else was already on their bike, and Kelly had saved me a bike by her.  The instructor, Matt, immediately got off his bike to help me get mine set up.  Already it was better than the boot camp nazi.  He made sure I was in proper form and told me we were riding at a road pace, which is a pace that you feel good and you could ride like that all day.  Somewhere around 90 rpm's.  Well, I couldn't get to 90 and feel like I could do it all day. My feel good pace was 75. What a shocker! I ride a bike slow, too! But I tried my best to keep up with his instructions.  He told us where to maintain our speed and when to loosen or tighten the tension.  Then we did some standing and then standing without bouncing which killed the quads.  Next up was the jumps, which is where you stand up and then sit back down in intervals of three to five pedals.  One of the last exercises was sprinting which is where we were supposed to give it our all.  That's when I finally got up to 90! 

Most of the work was done in intervals of thirty seconds to one minute.  It was tough, but the instructor was really great at explaining everything and reminding us of our form: shoulders down, abs in, hands light on the handlebars, lead with the heels, etc.  I was literally dripping with sweat and my shirt was soaked.  And I lived, because seriously, I didn't think I would make it past the first fifteen minutes.  I thought the same thing after thirty minutes, and it wasn't until we hit forty five that I was thinking that maybe I could make it through.  I was also worried about my booty hurting, but it didn't bother me until we were cooling down at the very end.  When all was said and done I had ridden 17 miles.

After class was over, we talked to Matt who said it will take at least three classes before you get the hang of it, so I guess I'll try it again.  I read that spinning can improve your running and your speed, so it would be worth it. 

Then it was time for me to get ready for work.  I went to the car to get my bag and it was only then that I realized that I didn't bring a towel.  I did have what equates to a dishrag in the car, so I used that.  That was fun.  Then I realized I didn't bring hairspray.  I quickly texted Kelly and asked her to bring some when she came to work.  Then I was dressed and ready to go and then I realized that I didn't bring my shoes. Awesome!  I had to go back home after all.  Luckily I did make it work on time...barely!  So much for preparedness.

I'm so stuffed up and congested, I took some medicine while at work.  I think it made me worse and sleepy.  My boss let me go home early, and I tried to sleep it off.  Three hours later I was back up and feeling better.

So I went to get my abs ripped at pilates.  It went well being that I'm not at a hundred percent.  It wasn't as traditional as last week, but we did many great exercises and incorporated the ball into some of them, including the plank.  To me, it's more manageable to do a plank with the assistance of the ball.  Shellie will be out next week, so I'll have to find a different way to torture my abs. 

It was a good workout day, and I was happy to have finally faced my fear of the bike.  I will need lots of practice and hopefully my arms will get used to it.  They were pretty tired and I had to sit up often to stretch them out.  But still, I can say I've done it, and I'll do it again.  I'll let you know if I end up liking it. I'm not quite there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment