Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Twilight Run

My daughter and her roommate left this afternoon when I got home from work.  =(  As they left to teach camps and train dance teams, and my little one's mind was going a hundred miles an hour.  I knew I had to get her out of the house to use up some energy, but I also knew I wanted - no- needed to get a jog in today.  We decided on (what else) the pool.  As luck would have it, my friend Tiffany invited us over for a swim.  The girls played and I treaded water for about half an hour.  Then we sat out and talked; it was a very nice evening.   

When I got into my car, Kelly had texted me to ask me how my run was.  Doh!  I had to text her that I hadn't done it yet.  The sun wasn't quite on it's way down, so I started thinking that maybe I would have time.   Then on our way home,  I noticed so many people walking and riding their bikes on this nice ,new, long sidewalk along the newly-opened road.  It kind of recharged my thirst for a run.  It's been a week since my last one.  I'm still congested, but I could just do a short one in case it got to be too much or if I couldn't catch my breath.

I got home, started bath time and got dressed.  I didn't have music because my phone was down to ten percent of it's battery, but I took off anyway as twilight was close to settling in.  It took about a third of a mile before my legs felt okay and passed that awkward run phase.  It was nice not being quite so disconnected by the music.  There's always so many birds in our neighborhoods, and I tried to listen for as many sounds as I could.  The breeze was especially nice since I was not only feeling it but hearing it as well.  I could hear my feet in a nice steady rhythm.  I could think about my goals and visualize the weight melting off my body.  As I rounded the corner in the back of the neighborhood, there was a family of bunnies in a front yard.  So cute, and I wished that my little one could have seen it.  They ran off as I got closer with their little cottontails bouncing behind them.

I was getting close to the point that I know is a mile when I checked the Garmin.  That's when I realized the batter had gone out on it as well.  I guess it's just a bad electronic gadget day for exercise. 

Soon after, twilight was in full effect, so I concentrated again on my feet.  I heard the steady rhythm of 8th notes: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 7 & 8 & 1 & 2 & 3 7 4 & 5 & 6 & 7 & 8 &.  Ironic that my daughter will probably chanting the same things as she teaches her dancers new choreography.  It was just a steady chant to keep my pace to so I wouldn't slow down, and before I knew it I was home before the dark settled in.

It was great to get out there again after the week.  And even though I can do it without, I like having music with me.  I just need to get some new songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment